Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Structure

When I started writing The Minivan Philosopher, I waffled back and forth. Is it a journal? Is it a diary? Does it have to be chronological? When I realized that for it to be any of those things, I would be assuming that I know where I'm going or where my minivan is taking me. And I really don't know. I'm clueless as to where I'll end up. I have never been good at developing a five-year plan and sticking to it. The only life timetables I ever followed appropriately were completing my BA and MS degrees and when I was pregnant. However even in those instances, I was able to customize my experiences. The only thing that I do know is I will continue to get older and that I have to pay my taxes every year.

So, no, dear readers, this will not be like a diary or a timeline. Instead it will be an accurate (well as accurate as I want it to be - because, you know, some customization will occur here too) representation of the thoughts in my mind and situations that accompany them. It may not be rational, but who said the minivan philosopher has to be rational?

No comments:

Post a Comment