Tuesday, July 23, 2013

So that's what that was all about???

Who knew those night sweats and occasional fevers and weight loss were signs that the cancer was lurking in my colon?

I certainly didn't.

When my doctor friend (who is not treating me) started asking me if I had experienced those things I said "yes but..."

Night sweats - I'm a 44-year old woman.  Weren't those because I am pre-menopausal?  Not necessarily, I have learned.  Well I have been having those for over a year now.  Not all the time but when you get them you know you have them.  Covers kicked off, then you cool off and in your sleep grope around to find the covers because now you're cold.  Back and forth.

Fevers - I just thought I was coming down with something, take some ibuprofen, a little extra bee propollis and the fevers go away.

Weight loss - I have been battling my weight for at least ten years (since the Sage was born) and have been working out religiously (zumba 4x/week)... that's what I attributed my weight loss to and I was  happy about it too.  Finally, I sighed, something is working.  But it could have just been the cancer??  You mean it's not the result of all my time in the gym?!  Oh the travesty!

So fortunately, the Universe knew I would not take any of the above mentioned symptoms seriously so she made my colon bleed.  And believe me people when you have blood in your shit, you take notice!

And here I sit, one week from diagnosis, waiting for the surgery to be scheduled.  It can't come fast enough.  I will be happy though to not have night sweats or fevers anymore. (Well until I really enter the pre-menopausal stage)  Not so excited about the possibility of gaining weight (scowl face); but after my six weeks of recovery, I will go back to the gym and hope it really was the zumba and not the cancer!

That's what I learned today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment