Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Breath of fresh air

It's amazing what an hour-long conversation with my Ladybug can do for my soul.  She had just finished her very first college English course.  She texted me about it and I had to pick up the phone to hear her voice.  She's lucky I didn't FaceTime her right there in the quad.  Anyway, she is doing so well.  Loves her roommate.  Is adjusting (slowly) to the Mississippi heat.  And has met four other students from our region! Go figure!

She got a little sentimental when she said that sometimes she imagines what it must have been like for me as a student walking across the same grass, attending classes in the same buildings.  Her dorm room is even in the same dorm I stayed in (thankfully not on the same floor, now that would be weird).  I told her it's the first time she and I have really shared a common experience.  Her growing up years were quite different than mine so we never shared the same elementary school or high school experience.  But college, now this is different. 

She was so worried about making friends and if her roommate would like her.  I tried to calm her fears as best I could this summer and the last week while I was in the hospital.  I knew, deep in my heart, that she would be fine.  I mean really, who could not like her?  And it was such lovely confirmation to hear the enthusiasm in her voice for the college experience that she is getting.  I do miss her every day but that is minimized by how proud and excited I am for her as she begins this new life's phase and journey. 

Ladybug, you make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment