Thursday, October 3, 2013

Quotes from one of my favorite authors: Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I LOVE Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  I remember when a friend gave me a copy of Love in the Time of Cholera back in 1997, I couldn't put it down.  After that I read 100 Years of Solitude and enjoyed it just as much.  Below are a collection of quotes from Marquez' novels that I stole from the web site www.shortlist.com They did a nice job of gathering 30 of his greatest quotes... here are my favorites from that list.  (And now I have even more books I want to read!)


Memories Of My Melancholy Whores (2004)
"No matter what, nobody can take away the dances you've already had."

 Love In The Time of Cholera (1985)
"One does not love one's children just because they are one's children but because of the friendship formed while raising them."

 Love In The Time of Cholera (1985)
"The world is divided into those who screw and those who do not."

 No One Writes To The Colonel (1961)
"He who awaits much can expect little."

The General In His Labyrinth (1989)
"There is great power in the irresistible force of love."

Love In The Time of Cholera (1985)
"The problem in public life is learning to overcome terror; the problem in married life is learning to overcome boredom."

One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)
"One minute of reconciliation is worth more than a whole life of friendship"

The Autumn of the Patriarch (1975)
"Even the broadest and most useful of lives only reach the point of learning how to live"

Memories Of My Melancholy Whores (2004)
"No matter what you do this year or in the next hundred, you will be dead forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment