Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Silent Treatment

The Philosopher is persona non grata. 

It seems that Ladybug is intent on not talking to me as punishment for refusing to take out a $100K parent loan or refusing to co-sign a loan for a similar amount in "alternative financing" to fund her undergraduate education at her dream school in her dream city, Chicago.

I'm not sure if she thinks that by not talking to me I'll magically change my mind and agree to mortgage my life or allow her to begin hers saddled with that extreme amount of debt?  That I'll feel so guilty and miss having her talk to me and resent her active ignoring of me, that I'll cave and say "whatever you want Ladybug, just talk to me please."?  *Sigh*, my newly 'adult' child has a lot of growing up to do.

She is suffering from short-sightedness.  She is actually acutely afflicted with it.  I may have to step in with a drastic intervention if she doesn't alter her attitude around the house.  If I am persona non grata, then there is no reason for me to continue allowing her to drive the minivan or pay for the insurance or the gas or her telephone or her food or her home.  Because if I'm not there, then she is not there.  I am willing to wait another day or so before pulling the plug on her 'fun and beginning the shock treatment, so to speak. 

She is experiencing what all young women experience as they mature and get ready to head off to college, that no matter what you try to do, you can't be the queen at home.  That is the mother's divine right.  I went through it myself.  Pushing and pulling, tugging and tearing at the 'restrictive' nature of life at home.  Oh it was just awful!  Or so I thought.  Once I went away to college and began living my life on my own, I settled down and didn't necessarily push those boundaries when I was home on visits.  My Ladybug is at that pushing/pulling stage because she is experiencing another one of life's mean little lessons - you can't always get what you want. 

Oh the joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment