Sunday, June 23, 2013

Before midnight - Updated with my reactions

Headed out to finally see this movie. It's only playing on two screens here, but at least it's playing.  I will share my opinions when I return.  But until then here is a link to my favorite song to sing karaoke... What are yours?

Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf

Update:
I thoroughly enjoyed Before Midnight.  Thoroughly. The dialogue, the writing was just amazing.  I loved how real and raw the conversations were between Jesse and Celine.  They said things that so many people in relationships are afraid to say but that they think all the time.  The vulnerability they portrayed was so real and so refreshing.  I have read a few reviews in the blog-o-sphere and by far every one has raved about how great this movie is.  But there are a few who feel let down because the glittery-hopeful-romantic-fairy magic that was present in the first two movies is not there this time.  Maybe it's the age of the reviewers that lead to their disappointment.  I am the age of Celine and Jessie.  I am the "middle aged woman with a fat ass losing her hair" as Celine described herself.  I have been divorced.  I know the pain of ending relationships.  And I welcomed the complete honesty & vulnerability that these characters portrayed.  Seeing them struggle to stay sane, to stay passionate, to find a personal balance, to strike hard and fast with their words and to see them not abandon ship as a first reaction to those words fits in with my seasoned and 'wiser?' romantic view of life. 

I applaud the lowest grossing trilogy of all time in their pursuit of showing what life became for Celine and Jesse... for being willing to disappoint our romantic notions of a movie couples' "happily ever after" but at the same time giving hope that love can endure.  I hope they keep talking and bringing us their insightful, clever dialogue in future installments.  I hope Celine and Jesse keep fighting for their love and not become the lyrics in the Meatloaf song referenced above in this post... "So now I'm praying for the end of time so I can end my time with you..."  I believe Celine & Jesse will prevail.

So glad I finally got to see it.  Happy girl here.

No comments:

Post a Comment