Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sweaty Armpits!!!

Oh my gawd getting older is just one biological phenomenon after another!!!
In this post Growing Older not as much fun as it seems, I wrote a paragraph about some of the physical changes you go through as you age and I naively stated that these changes "...are not necessarily welcomed but they do not shock you."    Well I can unequivocally state that the random perspiration in my armpits is definitely shocking, not welcome and I had no clue this was even coming! 

The first time it happened was last fall.  I thought it was because it was still 100 degrees outside with humidity levels approaching 100%.  But then it continued to occur throughout the winter months (maybe I was dressing too warmly?)  I thought something was wrong with me and put it on my list of symptoms to research on the internet when I happened to be watching a rerun of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days on cable and saw a scene where Kate Hudson is talking rapidly and begins to put tissues under her arm pits.  And I said "YES!"  and pointed at the screen.   I knew exactly what she was going through.  However when I saw the movie the first time ten years ago, I did not understand or even recognize the significance of the paper towel move.  It was not on my radar screen.

Last night my son, the Rockstar, asked me if I was trying to fly somewhere when he saw me doing my interpretation of the Chicken Dance in the kitchen as I was trying to dry out my armpits.  I laughed and told him to just bring me some paper towels. 

I don't know how long this is supposed to last but when I surveyed my peer group of girlfriends, they are in the same sweaty boat.  It is nice to know I am not alone.  There are many web sites devoted to hyperhidrosis.  I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere.

I wonder what physical change I can expect next? I'm doing my best to age gracefully, sweaty armpits and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment