Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Reader

She has always been an insightful, compassionate, smart, funny little girl. One night when she was four-years old, she announced to her father and I that we were not living our own lives but the lives in a story. I asked her to explain and she said, matter-of-factly, that someone was reading a book and we were the characters in the book and when we went to sleep at night that was when the reader closed the book. I was amazed at her imagination and couldn't wait to hear what my budding philosopher would think up next.

So, from then on, to get my daughter to bed at a reasonable hour, I would remind her that the reader was getting tired and would close the book soon and she didn't want to fall asleep standing up, now did she? She would shake her head no and scamper off to her bedroom.

And I would look forward to what the reader would read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment