Friday, January 10, 2014

Super weird, new normal or an anomaly?

Nine weeks left. 
I have managed to survive this week's polar vortex (for those not in St. Louis - 12 inches of snow, 20 below zero wind chills, more snow, more freezing temps and now 7 hours of rainfall...).  I have worn lots of layers, got me some fancy silk long underwear that has really been worth the $$ I spent.  I used up almost all of my "toe warmers" as I couldn't leave the house without them.

Thankfully, I have three able-bodied children who did shovel the snow so we could get out of the house.  There was no way I was picking up a shovel!

I spent 8 hours at the ER on Monday.  Diagnosis- a bladder infection.  I knew I had it but I didn't want to wait too long to get any antibiotics for it. I also had the same cramping and pain in my stomach area that had sent me to the hospital in November.  So the oncologist on-call (because all the dr.'s offices were closed due to the polar vortex) said for me to go to an ER to be evaluated.  Basically to make sure it wasn't more serious than a simple bladder infection.  And fortunately, it was not.  I have almost finished my cycle of antibiotics and I feel so much better.

As a family, we went to the Families Connect Support group at the Cancer Support Community.  It's a really amazing place, the CSC, and I am glad my kids can connect with other kids who are going through the same thing they are...
Kid 1- "so your mom's got cancer too?"
Kid 2 - "yeah. and she's all crazy on the chemo."
Kid 3 - "so's mine!  Does she yell at you for nothin'?"
Kid 2 - "all the time, I just avoid her"
Kid 1 - "yeah, me too.  Cancer sucks. I miss my mom."
Kid 2 and 3: "me too."

My three also did a session with the music therapist there called Kids Rock! Cancer and they wrote a song.  Made me cry.  Seriously a tear jerker... this is so not easy on them either!!!

But anyway, you're reading this to find out what is super weird...  I noticed yesterday that there is some new-ish hair growth on my head.  (pausing for the audience to finish applauding).  Well the weird thing is this new hair is growing from my temple (is this an 'advancing hairline'?) and it is curly and BLACK!  For those readers whose minds have gone there, no I do not have pubic hair growing from my temples!  But I have never had curly hair on my head in my life and it is jet black!!!!!  I'm hoping this is an anomaly.  But who knows?

Did I mention I only have 9 weeks left?!

No comments:

Post a Comment