Monday, February 3, 2014

25 days left...

25 days until my final disconnect from chemo!  I am beyond excited!!! It's getting so close.  So close, soclose!

However, whoa!  These last two treatments have knocked me out for three days each.  All I want to do is sleep, drink water (room temp or warmer) and suck on Lifesavers Spear-O-Mint candies.  It's the only thing that makes the metal taste in my mouth go away, albeit, temporarily.  I brush my teeth several times a day as well because that gives me some relief too.  I also rinse with Biotene mouthwash as it seems to help with the cotton mouth I've developed these last two treatments.  My hair is still falling out.  And I've got the bags under my eyes again.  But I am not experiencing that debilitating jaw pain or the difficulty swallowing like I had before.  Yes, you should knock on wood on my behalf too.

I do miss getting my acupuncture immediately after being disconnected.  Since the shift in treatment days, I've got to wait until Monday mornings, almost 48 hours later, to get my acupuncture.  I know it works because until I get it done, my hands (fingertips especially) feel swollen and are painful to the touch because of the swelling.  But it goes away after getting treatment... I didn't use to have to deal with the swelling but must manage it for now.

Managing.  That's pretty much all I can do.  The cold weather isn't letting up (even with my offers of virgin sacrifices, mother nature is wielding a cold and fierce attitude this winter - who pissed her off this year and would you please say you are sorry, already!!!).  The groundhog can't catch a break either.
 
 
I am grateful that my chemo clock is winding down.  I know that makes a huge difference in my "chin-up" attitude.  It feels so much more do-able than it did on September 11, 2013. 
 
My oncologist said I will keep my port for another two years and will start receiving CT scans etc. pretty much within four weeks of finishing chemo.  He also said that he has been very aggressive with the chemo because he wants me to be cured of cancer and because I was young and healthy enough to handle/withstand/make it through all the side effects.   Thank god I was young and healthy enough because I can't imagine how it would have gone otherwise!
 
So until the five year mark passes without any recurrence of cancer, my body will be closely monitored.  And I will keep all of you informed too.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment