Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18, 2013

I knew he wasn't going to last much longer, but it's still a shock to get that call. You know, the one that starts like this 'we're very sorry to have to tell you but your grandfather has just passed away.'

That's right. At 2 a.m. I got that call.

I am awake now. A little numb. Relieved for him that it's over now. His body was just done even though his brain wasn't. But 97 years is a good run. I hope I make it that long.

As I sit here reflecting about grandpa and why he died now instead of hanging on for another couple of months, one thought comes to mind: he died so I can focus on my own health & not have the stress of taking care of him too. You see, readers, the doctors found a tumor in my colon yesterday.  I will be having surgery in the next few weeks to remove it. I think grandpa gave me a gift in his own way. It's like he has said, "thank you for caring for me and handling my affairs. Now you just focus on doing what it takes to heal from your surgery & knock the cancer out."

I say back to him, "thank you. And I hope you are resting peacefully."

Godspeed, Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment